We have innovative cross-border tax structuring expertise and we advise clients on all day-to-day tax matters.Our experienced lawyers successfully represented clients in tax disputes
Firm’s Tax practice in Latvia is lead by Ingūna Ābele, a certified tax advisor, who has more than 15 years’ work experience, including work at one of the Big 4 auditor companies.
Our senior associate Maret Hallikma is the former head of the Legal Department of the Estonian Tax and Customs Board. Maret has more than 18 years’ experience and is one of the most recognised tax specialists in Estonia.
Legal services include:
- Tax Structuring
- Tax disputes
- Tax Compliance and Due Diligence
- Corporate Tax
- Personal Taxation
- Excise Duties
- EU and International Taxation
- Transfer Pricing
Our team’s experience includes:
- Provided everyday tax assistance and tax advice on structuring the business to the following international and local clients: DEPO DIY SIA (the largest construction material chain under the DIY (do it yourself) concept in Latvia), UAV FACTORY Ltd.( one of the world’s leading developers of unmanned composite airframes), ALPHA SHIPPING COMPANY SIA, TAV LATVIA OPERATION SERVICES SIA (a subsidiary of TAV OPERATION SERVICES CO.), Wilhelmsen Ships Service AS (a part of Wilhelmsen Maritime Services AS, a Wilh. Wilhelmsen group company), ALD Automotive SIA (the operational leasing and fleet management business line of Societe Generale Group), Coca-Cola HBC Latvia SIA (group company of the Coca-Cola Company, a global leader in the beverage industry), UCTAM Baltics SIA (a subsidiary of UniCredit Bank Austria AG), Hiking Group Ltd. (a large-scale enterprises consortium founded in China), West Kredit AS, a full service credit company.
- Advising Turkish Airlines on legal and tax related international cross border employment matters cross-border taxation of employees between Lithuania, other EU countries and Turkey.
- Representing LSEZ AS Liepājas osta LM, a subsidiary of AS Liepājas Metalurgs, in tax dispute with the State Revenue Service on VAT imposed on imported goods, the potential liability is EUR 28 million.
- Advising SIA UCTAM Baltics, a group company of UniCredit Bank, with respect to clarifying unclear VAT Law interpretation issues with respect to identification of VATable tax base for sale of construction in progress and application of reverse charge VAT to construction services effective as from 1 January 2012, as well as the new VAT Law effective as from 1 January 2013.
- Advising a major German shipbuilding company Neue Triton Schiffswerft on various cross-border profit taxation, social security taxation and profit repatriation issues between Lithuania and Germany.
- Providing everyday tax assistance to duty free operator business in Riga International Airport: Riga Airport Commercial Development AS, the subsidiary of ATU Turizm Isletmeciligi A.S. which is the Turkey’s leading duty free operator chain, and Unifree Latvia SIA, the subsidiary of UNIFREE DUTY FREE İŞLETMECİLİĞİ A.Ş. The work involves various aspects of tax competence inter alia representation before the Excise Department, State Revenue Service, and the Customs Authorities, secondment of personnel, corporate income tax issues, as well as transfer pricing study.
- Advising Lithuanian Government and Vilnius City Municipality on tax issues related to development of Multifunctional National Stadium via a highly complex PPP structure by attracting EU funds via the financial instruments provided by JESSICA and other EU financing facilities.
- Providing tax assistance on regular basis with respect to VAT application to LSEZ SIA Dan Store, the subsidiary of global market leaders BUNGE S.A., CM Holding A/S and Svane & Gjording A/S, operating under special tax regime in Liepāja Special Economic Zone.
- Successfully represented the client in the prejudicial administrative proceedings during a tax audit carried out by the State Revenue Service and helped the client refund overpaid VAT of over EUR 200,000.
- Assisting one of the world biggest producers of tyres in providing explanations to Latvian State Revenue Service that the activity performed by Michelin Polska S.A. in Latvia does not conform to the features of operations of a permanent establishment specified in the Latvian Law on Taxes and Duties.
- Advising one of the leading worldwide drugs producers and distributors regarding VAT consequences in cross-border transactions.
- Advising Estonian mobile operator company regarding legal requirements for e-invoicing in Lithuania including requirements for keeping register of VAT invoices and other related issues.
- Advising one of the leading manufacturers in few-storey constructions works in Lithuania, regarding possible tax risks in several transactions.
- Provided legal and tax assistance on evaluation of various aspects to enter the Latvian market for China Harbour Engineering Company Ltd., AB prekybos centras VCUP AB (Vilnius Central Department Store), SCPI Corum Convictions (a French real estate investment fund). Inter alia prepared tailored memorandum on applicable tax regime in Latvia (including value added tax, corporate income tax, payroll taxes, branch taxation etc.), registration, requirements, employment and immigration issues.
- Advised TAV LATVIA OPERATION SERVICES SIA (a subsidiary of TAV OPERATION SERVICES CO.) that provides non-aviation services and manages non-aviation revenues of 14 airports in 7 countries operated by TAV Airports through) on application of 0% VAT rate to the business lounge services.
- Advised one of the world’s leading developers of unmanned composite airframes, regarding tax aspects applicable to issue the share options to employees and a special regulation applicable on cases when share options are exempt from payroll taxes as well as tax aspects in investors attracting scheme.
- Rendering legal assistance to a company involved in real estate development, currently developing a multi-storey construction project with 400 apartments on daily basis to its client on tax issues, including elaboration of the financial, tax and legal structure of the project.
- Provided legal opinion to ALD Automotive SIA (the operational leasing and fleet management business line of Societe Generale Group) on applicable tax regime for granting shares of Societe Generale Group to employees of the group companies and possibilities to apply special regulation applicable in cases when share options are exempt from payroll taxes.
- Provided advice for Coca-Cola HBC Latvia SIA (group company of the Coca-Cola Company, a global leader in the beverage industry) on rules for sales of Premium Spirits to tax-free zones (airport zones, aircraft, ships etc.) according to the Council Regulations and national regulation.