Sports law is one of the most unique practice areas in our firm. Our profound knowledge and experience in this specific field sets Primus apart on the Baltic legal market. In the course of representing our clients we have dealt with projects involving some of the biggest names on the European sports scene.
We provide various services for sports federations, clubs, leagues and athletes. However, the major part of our services in the field of sports law is related to sports litigation: we represent clients in various local and international sports dispute resolution bodies, including the FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber (DRC), FIFA Players’ Status Committee (PSC), UEFA disciplinary and appeals bodies, Basketball Arbitral Tribunal (BAT) and the ordinary and appeals divisions of the Court of Arbitration for Sports (CAS). We help to enforce decisions through various disciplinary bodies and in accordance with the New York Convention.
Most of our sports lawyers have obtained academic degrees in international sports law from highly regarded academic institutions in Spain, Switzerland and the UK.
Legal services include:
- Contract and agreement (employment, transfer and loan, sponsorship, media) – drafting and negotiating
- Representation of athletes and staff in doping matters
- Full representation of clients in disputes before FIFA, UEFA, Basketball Arbitral Tribunal (BAT), Court ofArbitration for Sports and other bodies of national and international sports associations
- Execution of decisions of national and international sports bodies as well as arbitral awards
- Training compensation and solidarity payments
- Legal structures for clubs and associations
Our team’s experience includes:
- Representing Lithuanian football club FC Trakai on transfer procedures of Armenian football player David Arshakyan to the Major League Soccer (MLS) football club Chicago Fire.
- Representing interests of Lithuanian national team football player in the FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber (DRC) against his former club from Romanian top league.
- Advising Lithuanian national team goalkeeper on his transfer to the Dutch top division Eredivisie football club ADO Den Haag from Turkish club Sivaspor.
- Representing the Lithuanian Football Federation (LFF) in the arbitration case before the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), based in Lausanne, Switzerland regarding match-fixing related infringements.
- Representing the interests of FK Ekranas, at the time one the most successful football clubs in Lithuania, against an Italian football club before the FIFA Player Status Committee regarding a case on the fulfilment of the sell-on of player clause stipulated in a player transfer agreement.
- Conducting a legal analysis for an international sports organisation on the use of virtual advertising across the Baltic States.
- Representing the interests of FK Ekranas, at the time one the most successful football clubs in Lithuania, against an Italian football club before the Court of Arbitration for Sports regarding fulfilment of an agreement involving matters related to the loan of football players.
- Advising football clubs on matters related to training compensation and solidarity contributions in accordance with FIFA Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players.
- Representing the interests of a Lithuanian national football team player in a dispute against a Turkish football club regarding overdue salaries and compensation for breach of contract before the FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber.
- Assisting FK Ekranas, at the time one the most successful football clubs in Lithuania, in the transfer procedure of a young football player to Juventus FC.
- Representing the interests of a Lithuanian national football team player in a dispute against a Romanian football club regarding overdue salaries and compensation for breach of contract before the FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber.
- Working with international law firm White & Case on a case concerning doping in sports.
- Representing the interests of a basketball player in a large number of disputes against a Ukrainian basketball club BC Budivelnyk before the Basketball Arbitral Tribunal.
- Representing the interests of basketball players and basketball agencies against various clubs and before the Basketball Arbitral Tribunal including the execution of the arbitral award at the FIBA Disciplinary Panel.
- Advising Lithuanian football and basketball clubs in organizational matters: legal structure, youth development schemes and programmes, sports employment contracts, relationships with municipal and state entities.
- Advising Šarūnas Marčiulionis Basketball Academy, one of the top basketball schools in the region, on various legal matters.
- Advising the Lithuanian National Basketball League on the implementation of statutes and member admission regulations.
- Advising the Lithuanian Handball Federation in matters related to championship regulations, national player status and transfer regulations, as well as disciplinary matters.
- Cooperating with Transparency International Lithuania in an educational programme for football and basketball players, clubs and leagues on match fixing.
- Advising the Latvian Football Federation on a wide range of operational matters.