Intellectual Property, Media and IT Law
“Clients note the ‘very high service level’ and ‘real practical knowledge’.”
(Legal500, Intellectual Property, 2011)
Intellectual property (IP) is of key importance for any successful business operating locally or worldwide. Through the years we have developed a substantial practice in this area and can offer our clients’ legal support in an array of matters related to intellectual property, media and IT law.
We have been acting for our clients in the intense negotiations of license agreements of trademarks and other IP rights, represented our clients in disputes regarding the unauthorized use of one’s IP rights and assisted in the transfer and acquisition of various IP rights. Our services also include registration, protection, implementation and enforcement of intellectually property rights and all services related to IP transactions.
The scope of our intellectual property practice helps our clients to extract and enjoy maximum value from their intellectual property rights while minimizing the costs and possible risks.
Legal services include:
- Copyright and related rights
- Designs & databases
- Protection of know-how
- Data protection & privacy
- Domain names
- IP transactions (transfers, licensing, non-disclosure and confidentiality)
Our team’s experience includes:
- Representation of the leading soft drink producer PepsiCo. Inc. in domain name dispute and successful recovery of country-code top-level domain name pepsi.lv
- Advising FOX International Channels, broadcaster of the Fox Life, Fox Crime and National Geographic channels in the Baltics, on intellectual property matters.
- Advising Dokdata, company providing archiving, document destruction, storage and scanning services in Lithuania, in negotiations of 2 master franchise agreements for Lithuania with huge international German capital group Reisswolf.
- Assisting AmberStone Group AS (a subsidiary of ABLV Bank, one of the largest private banks in the Baltic states, operating as holding company, managing its own investments) on daily basis, including on intelectual property related matters.
- Representing Premia Foods AS, a leading Baltic and Nordic branded food company, listed n NASDAQ OMX Tallinn Stock Exchange, in entering into a co-operation and licence agreement with Laima AS, the biggest confectionery manufacturer in the Baltics.
- Advising the biggest ticket lottery organizer in Lithuania in protection and enforcement of its intellectual property rights in more than five cases regarding the use of company’s trademarks without the prior client’s consent.
- Represented a snack producer CHIPITA INDUSTRIAL AND COMMERCIAL COMPANY SA, in an out-of-court settlement of a trade mark dispute related to the use of designation `Bake Rolls` by a local producer of bread chips.
- Advising SAF Tehnika, microwave carrier-class point-to-point radio manufacturers, publicly traded in NASDAQ OMX Riga Stock Exchange, on trademark and other intellectual property issues.
- Advising a major Baltic IT and computer hardware group Blue Bridge in performing registration of the first dynamic trademark at the State patent bureau of Lithuania.
- Assisting Greenworld Fuels (a UK based company producing fuel grade ethanol from municipal solid waste) in entering into a licence agreement on intellectual property rights and use of the new production technology.
- Providing legal advice to a private investor as to the planned purchase of a regional TV station, inter alia, carrying out of legal due diligence of the target company.
- Advising a researcher and producer of herbal dietary supplements in relation to the development of food products and dietary supplements, made from cannabis sativa plat, for launching them in other countries.
- Representing Premia Foods AS, a leading Baltic and Nordic branded food company, listed on NASDAQ OMX Tallinn Stock Exchange, in entering into a co-operation and licence agreement with AS Kalev Chocolate Factory, which is the biggest and oldest confectionery company in Estonia, and belongs to the international Orkla Group, one of Norway’s largest listed companies on the Oslo Stock Exchange.
- Advising advanced home appliances distributor in the Baltics Arte Domestica and preparing all legal documentation for client’s new web and online shop, as well as advice on introduction of new international trademarks into Lithuanian, Latvian, Estonian markets.
- Successfully representing E-Meditsiini OÜ in a dispute over the right of use of the domain name www.kettler.ee
- Advising the founders of the “Lotte Village” theme park, the Baltics’ largest theme park, in all of their IP related matters, including the licence agreements of trademarks, cartoon characters and other intellectual property rights.
- Successfully advising the leading Estonian design and advertising agency, The Division AS, in a dispute over the use of intellectual property rights.
- Advising a leading insurance group in the Baltics, ERGO, on data protection matters related to the revision of recruitment documentation of the company.
- Advising a major local telecommunications company on various complex issues related to the protection of company’s intellectual property, including negotiations related to the creation, launch and branding of a new B2C IT product.