Banking & Finance
“Primus have a highly competent and flexible team.”
( IFLR1000, Financial and Corporate, 2016)
Banking and finance is the key field of expertise of the firm. Our banking team advises clients on all pan-Baltic and international finance and banking issues, including company, project, transaction or personal financing and crediting, refinancing, borrowing and loan issues, bond issuing, ensuring performance of obligations, insurance, establishing investment funds and management companies, transactions of reorganisation and liquidation, corporate restructuring and bankruptcy as well as on issues related with implementation of operational requirements. In addition to advising banks, security agents and lenders, our team also has extensive experience in advising borrowers from a wide range of industrial and financial sectors. Our team is also experienced in advising clients during initial public offering (IPO) process.
Our highly ranked banking and finance lawyers have represented most of the Scandinavian and local banks active in the Baltic states as well as international banks and financing institutions that deal with cross-border financing in the region.
We also advise investment banks, funds, payment institutions, electronic money institutions and other financial institutions on all aspects of regulatory and compliance matters (incl. licenses and permits, provision of cross-border services, anti-money laundering and terrorism financing prevention matters, etc.).
- Project Finance
- Trade Finance
- Warehouse Financing
- Loan and Bond Issue Financing
- Investment Services
- Investment Funds
- Payment Services, Payment Netting
- Cash Management products
- Capital Markets
- Private Equity
- Opening of branches
- Restructuring and liquidation
- Securing Performance of Obligations
- Compliance and Banking Regulations (including AML and Terrorism Financing Prevention)
- Refinancing and Recapitalization
- Initial Public Offering (IPO)
Our team’s experience includes:
- Advising UniCredit Bank AS and its group companies on the corporate matters and takeover of assets from distressed loans. Development of the recommended scenario for the most advantageous and effective solution from the legal and tax point of view for acquisition of assets from distressed loans in the Baltic’s, further assistance with sale and maintenance of the assets.
- Advising Nasdaq Vilnius on drafting templates for prospectuses and related documentation for potential bond issuers in the Baltics.
- Advising ICBC Turkey Bank A.Ş. (previously known as Tekstilbank A.Ş.) with respect to funds being blocked in Latvia under criminal proceedings (money laundering case) on basis of mutual cooperation between Turkey and Latvia.
- Legal assistance to LHV Pank AS (one of the key subsidiaries of LHV Group, the largest domestic financial group and capital provider in the Republic of Estonia) in the process of opening its branch in the Republic of Latvia, including elaboration of internal and external rules for anti-money laundering and terrorism financing prevention, outsourcing, internet banking, deposits, payment services, investment services, general terms and conditions, debit/credit cards, customers’ data processing, provision of credit limits. Advised LHV Pank in the process of obtaining the license for branch operations with the Financial and Capital Market Commission (FCMC).
- Representing DNB Banka AS, DNB Līzings and Salvus SIA, daughter companies of DNB Banka AS on debt recovery cases and other complex debt restructuring and recovery cases.
- Advising Admiral Markets UK Ltd on establishment of a branch of the foreign financial brokerage firm and drafting documents pertaining to its activities.
- Participating in the project for Basle II implementation: Monitoring of Foreign Security Interests led by Latham & Watkins LLP in setting up of a worldwide electronic database for needs of the Federal Association of German Banks, Federal Association of German Mortgage Banks, Federal Association of German Public Sector Banks and their member banks
- Assisting ABLV Bank (Latvia) in preparation of documents for securing a performance of obligations under financing agreements.
- Advising a leading production company in the Baltic region on several major financing transactions, including a complex loan facility agreement with the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD) in the approximate amount of EUR 34 million.
- Advising a major real estate fund on the refinancing of several existing loan facilities in the approximate amount of EUR 30 million.
- Advising a pan-Baltic borrower on a unique financial restructuring and refinancing transaction with transaction value of approximately EUR 16 million.
- Advising the client from Accor group on issues of the real estate acquisition and development.
- Advising SBA in negotiating a draft umbrella factoring agreement with SEB Bank.